Sunday, November 21, 2010

What Illusion?!


All photos copyrighted sstaas. All rights reserved.


The other day, a Tuesday, early afternoon I think it was, I was out walking. The sun was shining, the temperature was warm for this time of the year. Lots of people were out jogging and walking. There were kids playing in their front yards. For a second I felt as if it were the summer. But, the illusion of it being a different season dissipated fast as I suddenly remembered about the teacher strike. That's why there were kids out playing!



This illusion of it being a different time of year got me thinking about the 'people' I've photographed over the years, in different places. Most are statues or sculpture, but look sort of real, in an unreal way, if you get what I mean. Some are real people who try to give the illusion that they look like statues.



Others don't look at all like a real person, but there still fun to photograph. Real people sit next to them to get their picture taken. Some even put their arm around the statues, pretending that they are real.



Some statues just pull you in and make you want to join them.



If I were a child I'd like to play with these children. It looks as if they're having a lot of fun.

This boy is enjoying fishing.




Here's another example of a real person trying to give the illusion that they are a statue.




Now, for a split second I did think that this man was real. I could do with him to sweep away the leaves in my backyard.



There's absolutely no way that anybody would think that these two are real. No. Now, perhaps if they were smaller, somebody might indeed think they're real.



Maybe we should join them anyway. After all, it's the illusion that they're enjoying dancing together that's beguiling. Let's dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.