Friday, November 5, 2010

Election Day and the Trash Can


We just had these apparently very important elections. After being inundated with recordings of Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, even Pat Boone on our voice mail, and after being bombarded on television with so many advertisements, the big day finally arrived.

Did I really want to vote? No, not at all. It seemed as if none of the candidates expressed what he stood for. All of them just moaned and groaned about the opponent. Some of the advertisements sounded as if they came straight out of a children's playground. It was a case of he said this and he did that. I think children, however, are quite possibly better at expressing themselves than these professional politicians.

Anyhow, since I felt like going for a walk, off I strolled to the local school where one could vote. Standing outside was an acquaintance of mine. She was distribuiting leaflets to anyone and everyone. I took one and went inside to vote. Fortunately, I didn't toss the leaflet! I merely folded it and kept it in my hand.

When I came back outside my acquaintance looked concerned.
"Gosh. I'm almost out of leaflets! And we're getting lots of people now."
"Here," I replied, "you can have the one you gave me." Gosh, was I glad that I hadn't put it in the trash can!
"Great, that will help. But, I think I'll go inside to the trash can. That's where my leaflets usually end up. I feel embarrassed, however."
"I'll do it." What was I saying?! "I don't mind."

Off I go back inside. People stared at me as if it say, "You just voted. You don't really think you can vote again?"
I hastily rummaged in the trash can, all the while sensing piercing eyes fixed on me.

Lo and behold, I found about twenty fliers, all in good condition! I stepped outside feeling quite pleased with myself as I handed them over to my acquaintance.
"Wow. That's terrific! Thank you!" She was beaming from ear to ear.

As for the election itself? One name is very much like another. In the end, who even knows what the winner believes in? At least, the scathing advertisements have stopped. Pat Boone hasn't called back either. And now I know what it's like to rummage around inside a trash can!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.