Friday, June 25, 2010

Out of Business Stores



All photos and written works copyrighted sstaas. All rights reserved.

These long summer days here in the suburbs are adorned with butterflies and bonnie flowers. Even the weeds look nice and welcoming.

In the local village, however, people sip on their coffees and teas and bemoan the number of stores closed, gone out of business. They saunter about in sandals and cropped trousers, their shiny toenails flirting with the hot sidewalks.

"Not another store with a 'for rent' sign!"



"What about the lampshade store? Where did it go? I wanted to buy a new lampshade."

"Let's start at one end of the street and start counting. I think last week I counted nine. Nine stores gone out of business. I've never known this to happen before, never. Not in my whole life."

"Oh my. Where's the spray tan place? I swear it was here two weeks ago. What about my coupon? Do you think I can still use it?"

"They say that the parking meters are free on Saturdays. Maybe that will bring more people."

Some of the wealthiest people in the nation live in and around the village, but I guess they're not shopping here.

But, all is not lost. New ventures are sprouting forth, new ideas are floruishing, just like the flowers on the deck, and new enterprises are on the horizon. Evolution in progress.

The future could well be as superb as a butterfly.

Better grasp it before it flies away.

Are there stores going out of business where you live?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.