Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Garden Society Communication




Who says life in the suburbs is boring?! Yesterday the whole neighbourhood was buzzing with excitement. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, the temperature was around seventy. Flowers were blossoming, grass was being cut, new roofs were being installed. And let's not forget the gardeners who were outside pruning and weeding, admiring their colourful creations. Each person was involved, dedicated to enhancing his or her property.



But, did they notice one another? Hmm. I guess a feeble wave and a loud "Hi!" means communication was also buzzing. And they say New York is a tough city where nobody cares about anybody.

Just wait until the icecream van jingles by. Then there is even more excitement. Sometimes we get two icecream vans. Yes, in the one day. Imagine. They play different tunes as well.

I walk most days throughout the neighbourhood and have 'met' tons of people throughout the years. They always wave and give me a huge, gigantic grin as if we were old friends. I haven't a clue who they are. I just know where they live and I've never had more than a ten second conversation with them. Lots of times, people honk their horn as they drive by. I haven't a clue who they are either. Heck, I can't even see them. And unless I recognize the vehicle there's no way that I can tell who they are.

When I first moved to the United States I used to think that Americans were ever so friendly for they always greeted me exuberantly, unlike the British who tend to take a while to warm up to someone. But, that's as far as the communication seems to go - big waves, huge grins and a loud 'hi'. Granted, since I don't know these people well, that's about all that can be expected. But, why take the trouble to give these big waves and grins and honkings of the car in the first place?

Do you wave and greet people you've never met before?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.