Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Memorabilia, 1970's




All photos and written work are copyrighted sstaas. All rights reserved.

Guess what? I finally purchased a new blender! Guess how old my old blender is? Well...I bought it in 1974. Yes, it's a veritable old relic from the seventies. And, it still works!

I don't use a blender all that much. I use it to make Gazpacho, but that's about all. I'm thinking I might use the new handy dandy one a lot more. It seems so sturdy and robust. In the eighties I used my old blender to make Pina Coladas and Brandy Alexanders, but mostly it was just one of those items you pack whenever you move, carefully wrapping it in newspaper and placing it deftly in a cardboard box. It's a well-travelled blender!

My blender from the seventies got me thinking about other items I seem to have not parted with since way back then as well. Here's an old glass, or tumbler, as some would call it. I should toss it, I know, but I think it's cute, unique even, in its cheery seventies style.



Here are two brass items from the seventies. I bought them in Spain, when I was really into collecting brass.





I have two odd things. Not sure what they are. Maybe they're paperweights? One has a boat inside him, and the other has shells inside it. They're not too heavy, so perhaps they're not paperweights. I do still like them, don't I?





Here's the little Frenchman. I bought him because I liked his clothes, as well as his lovely basket complete with baguettes. Over the years he's lost his baguettes, however. My lonely Frenchman who is baguetteless.



I have keys that I've accumulated from somewhere. Why do I keep them? They must open something, mustn't they?!



I still have this huge gaudy gold leaf painting that I purchased in the seventies. His frame has broken so many times, that I feel he's a survivor. It'd be a shame to toss him now, after all those years.



The new blender I just purchased is shiny, sturdy, full of grace, and sits very proudly on the kitchen counter. It is a star, a smugly perfect specimen, a role model, an inspiration. I kid you not. Who knew that a blender could be so astonishing?!

But how can I toss the old one? We've been buddies for so long! And he still works.

Oh well, whilst I ponder this grave question, let's listen to some music from the 1970's. seventies style

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.