Saturday, May 31, 2014

Memorial Day Week-end, 2014



On Sunday we attended a Memorial Day ceremony at the Requin submarine.


The submariner veterans read out the names of submarines that had casualties over the years. Such a long list! Had no idea so many submariners had perished over the years.


We were given petals which we tossed into the river. 


The geese checked them out. I guess it's okay if they ate them? Pass, dunno.

On the Monday we were back in the suburbs at a Memorial Day parade in a small town close by. 


So many bagpipers! This is just one group of pipers that were in the parade. The bagpipe is ubiquitous around here. 


There were greyhounds in the parade. Once they stop winning races they get put to sleep, so lots of people adopt them. Hmm. I'm thinking that not enough people adopt them. If you'd like a lovely doggy, then maybe consider adopting a greyhound? They seem very gentle dogs.


One of several marching bands. 

It was really very festive. Lots of patriotic music being played that just made you want to sing along!


The Shriners were in the parade, singing away!


I don't know who the little girl is. But, I like the expression on her face as she watches the parade.



At the end of the parade there was this speaker. I'm sorry to say that I don't remember his name! I think it's Rock something or other. Anyhow, when I was told he was going to be speaking I hadn't a clue who he was. Turns out he was a famous football player for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Ha ha. Oh, and I think he was in the Vietnam War. That's probably why he was a speaker.