Thursday, December 16, 2010

Edinburgh, Scotland



All photos copyrighted sstaas. All rights reserved.


What an adventure last week was! Snow, ice, frigid temperatures, public transportation coming to a halt, in Edinburgh, Scotland. It was a challenge.

The above photo is of the hotel we stayed in. It looks old, but it really isn't. I think it was built in 1990. The architecture blends in with the other buildings on the Royal Mile, making it very inviting for tourists and locals alike.

In the photo below you can see the street outside the hotel. Slushy mushy icy stuff coats the road and pavements.



There was a bum sitting outside the hotel, all bundled up with blankets. His hand held out a plastic up and he'd ask for spare change. Any time I came by he started to smile and laugh. Why? I think he was astonished at the way I was walking! I was so scared that I'd fall on the ice. I ended up taking these teeny tiny steps. Well, it worked, for I didn't fall!

This fellow below must have felt the cold in places nobody wants to! I was so surprised to see a piper on such a cold, frigid day.



Down on Princes Street the Christmas lights were shining, and the carousels and the big wheel were beckoning. Believe it or not, there were lots of people out and about. Their boots probably didn't leak. Mine started to. At first I thought I was just cold, but then I realized my feet were damp as well. Do you know how long I've had these boots? Years and years. I hardly wear them, not even where I live in the United States. That's why I never knew that they leaked.



I was really glad we had a newspaper in the hotel room, for as soon as I got back, I shoved the pages into my boots, hoping that they'd somehow dry out. Why didn't I bring another pair of shoes with me?!

Have you ever encountered really bad weather on vacation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.