Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Artist Painting

All photos and written works copyrighted sstaas. All rights reserved.

I used to think I could learn to paint. At school I was told that I had "very interesting brushstrokes"! Armed with these fine thoughts I finally embarked on learning to paint at a local center for the arts. Whoever commented on my brushstrokes all those years ago must have been searching wildly for something positive to say about my art work. I think it's safe to say that I was about the worst in any of the art classes I took. I kept signing up for more classes, hoping that I'd suddenly discover hidden talents.




Wouldn't it be nice to be as brave as the gentleman in my photo? He stands so proudly, sure of his artwork, not a care in the world.

The hardest part of an art class for me is the blank canvas. It looms in front of you, as if to challenge you into duelling with it. People in the know can transform it into a drawing, a painting, something pleasant to regard. But, not only are you required to deal with the blankness of the canvas, you are also subjected to the stares and glances of others! I hate that. I remember positioning the easel in such a way that nobody could see what I was painting. Clever me, I thought. I carried on my merry way of dabbing here and splashing there, creating a fine mess, but it was fun, in a way. Best part, was that nobody could see my work of art, or so I thought. Oops. Right behind me was this huge mirror. Anybody looking at the mirror could see what I was painting!

I decided to take up photography after all these lame attempts at learning to draw or paint. I photograph things that I'd love to be able to draw or paint.

Are you an artist? Do you paint?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.